Zimtsterne (cinnamon stars) are maybe THE traditional German Christmas cookies. Everyone loves these little treats.
- 4 egg whites
- 250 g powdered sugar
- 300 g almond flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- peel of 1/2 lemon
- rum flavor (or brown rum)
- optional: rectangle-shaped baking wafers
- Beat egg white until very firm and slowly add powdered sugar, put 1/4 aside for the glaze.
- Mix ground almond, cinnamon and lemon peel with the egg white. You should get the kind of dough that you can roll out.
- Dust some powdered sugar on a baking board, roll the dough and cut out stars with a star cookie cutter. Optional: place the stars on a rectangle wafer and cut around the edges with a sharp knife.
- Put the stars on a baking tray laid out with parchment paper or a buttered surface.
- Preheat oven to 140-160 degrees C (320 F)
- Take the remaining egg white and add some rum flavor (or if you like real brown rum) until you get a glaze which you can spread on top of the stars but not too thick, just a thin layer.
- Bake the stars for 30-40 minutes.