Difficulty Level: Hard
Time Required: 2 hours
- Be on time (at least do your best not to be late).
- Take off your shoes at the front door.
- Bring a bottle of wine or a bunch of flowers for the hostess.
- Use “du” when talking to children up to the age of 14.
- Use “Sie” addressing any other person over 14.
- You should apply “Herr” or “Frau” together with the person’s surname instead of using his/her first name (using of first name is also accepted, provided you are friends with the addressed person).
- Do not hurry while eating.
- Do not speak bad about Bundesliga.
- Do not comment on overall German unfriendliness.
- While on a visit, take care not to break any family rules (or china).
- You are allowed an “academic quarter” which means you can arrive up to a quarter of an hour late to be still within the limits.
- Unwrap the flowers before presenting the hostess with them, unless they’re nicely bound in cellophane.
- Avoid using “Fraulein” even if you know the woman is not yet married.