- 2 1/2 – 3 lbs of kale, washed, stems and ribs removed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 lb smoked pork loin
- 1 Pinkelwurst or other smoked boiling sausage, such as kielbasa
- 2 smoked boiling sausages
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Generous pinch of ground nutmeg
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Plunge the kale into the water and blanch for 1 to 2 minutes. Drain the kale well in a colander and chop it coarsely.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onions. Sauté until translucent. Add the kale and 2 cups water. Stir in the oats and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add 1 cup water in ¼-cup increments, if necessary. The stew should be very moist but not soupy.
- Add the pork loin and the Pinkelwurst, and cook over low heat for 30 minutes. Add the smoked sausages and up to 1/2 cup water, if necessary. Cook for 30 minutes. The smoked sausages should only be added for the last 30 minutes of the cooking time, otherwise they will burst.
- Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Serve with boiled or caramelized potatoes.