Today in History
Travel to Germany
Facts About Germany
Thirty Years' War
German Chocolate Cake
How To in Germany
How to Cook Gingerbread Cookies
Gingerbread cookies are traditionally made in Germany for Christmas. Cook
them anytime, and let some Christmas into the house right now!
- Heat 3/4 cup honey, 3/8 cup sugar and 2 tbsp butter in a saucepan
- Stir in ginger, black pepper, ground cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, coriander
and nutmeg (a pinch of each).
- Let cool.
- Sift 2 cups flour into a bowl, add the honey mass and one egg yolk.
- Dissolve 1 tsp baking soda in 1 tbsp warm water and add to the mixture.
- Knead in 1 cup flour to make a firm dough.
- Heat the oven to 160 C.
- Roll out the dough to 1 cm thick.
- Cut out your favorite figures and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 min and let cool.
- For icing mix 4 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp water.
- Decorate the cookies when cool.
- Use the heavy-based saucepan.
- Make the dough firm enough to come away from the bowl's sides.
More German Recipes