Grebbel is deep-fried dough, something like a doughnut, which is fried and then served with powdered sugar sprinkled on it, while still warm.
1⁄2 cup soft butter (no substitute)
1⁄2 pint sour cream (do not use fat free or low fat)
4 eggs, beaten
4 cups flour
1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
canola oil or vegetable oil, for frying
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Combine butter, sour cream and eggs; blend together well. Add dry ingredients and mix together. (Makes a soft dough.)
- Let dough rest at room temperature for 1 hour – it will rise.
- Knead down and roll out on lightly floured board to about 3 mm thick.
- Cut into desired shape (7 cm X 12 cm strips) and cut center slits (2).
- Push dough through slits (this creates a twist) and drop into hot oil.
- Watch closely and turn over and fry to lightly browned.
- Drain on paper towels, shake on powdered sugar and enjoy!