This is a must-visit site for all German culture lovers. Get information about German traditions, history, education in Germany, German language, traveling to Germany, and lots of interesting facts about Germany. Here are some:
1. The population of Germany is approximately 82 million.
2. In the middle of September in Munich begins the world-famous Oktoberfest beer festival. Parades have begun brewing since 1810.
3. Germany is home to the world-famous composers of classical music. The most famous German composers were: Bach, Handel, Beethoven, Schumann, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Wagner and Richard Strauss.
4. The Germans occupy the third position of the world beer rating (after the Czechs and the Austrians): beer consumption per capita here is about 106 l of beer per year.
5. German athletes won a total of 1662 Olympic medals (as of 2012), i.e. more than any other country in the world except the USA.
6. Germany was the first country in the world to adopt daylight saving time. This happened at the height of the First World War (1916).
7. Almost 70% of German roads have no speed limit.
8. There are more than 300 varieties of baked bread in Germany.
9. German is the third most popular language in the world. It is official in 5 countries: Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein.
10. Ulm Cathedral is the tallest church in the world. Its height is 161.53 m.
The flag of Germany was adopted in its present form in 1919. It was readopted with the new constitution of 1949. It is a tricolour, made of three equal horizontal bands coloured black (top), red, and … [Read More...]
Schnecken are a type of sweet bun that was a traditional Saturday morning treat in German homes at the beginning of the 20th century. Schnecken means “snails,” which is what these coiled buns … [Read More...]
January 7, 1742
Birth of the enlightenment philosopher, Christian Garve. Garve was a professor at the University of Leipzig. He was noted as a moral philosopher and the translator to German of … [Read More...]
July 7, 1720
Maria Bach (wife of J. S. Bach) dies in Köthen, Germany. Maria Bach was the first wife of Johann Sebastian Bach.
July 7, 1860
Birth of Gustav Mahler in Kaliste, Bohemia. Mahler … [Read More...]
July 26, 1815
Birth of Robert Remak in Posen, Prussia (now Poland). Remak was an embryologist who identified and named the three layers of the early embryo. He also discovered the nerve cells of … [Read More...]
Germans: Myths and reality
Germans have an opinion, that life is divided in two parts – public (work, politics, business) and private (family, friends, hobbies, rest). These two spheres should be … [Read More...]
Every country and culture is based on different habits and behavior. Here are some fun facts about Germany and Germans that you definitely need to know.
1. Germany is one of the most densely … [Read More...]
October 24, 1273
Rudolf I is crowned in Aachen as the German King.
October 24, 1648
The final Treaty of Westphalia is signed, ending the Thirty Years War (1618-1648). The Peace of Westphalia … [Read More...]
Küche, Kirche, Kinder, ... Krieg?
Women have been for the first time admitted into combat units of German army
Germany was the last of the European countries that allowed women to join the … [Read More...]