1 package of active dry yeast
1/8 cup warm water
1 1/3 cups warm water
1/3 cup of sugar
5 cups flour
Water, baking soda
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce (recipe below)
1. Dissolve yeast in 1/8 cup warm water. Stir in 1 1/3 cups warm water, 1/3 cup brown sugar and flour. Beat until smooth. Knead dough until smooth and elastic. Heat oven to 475 F (245 C). In a saucepan, measure 2 teaspoons baking soda to each cup of water. Place enough to fill the saucepan. Boil soda and water.
2. Tear off some dough and roll a pencil shape with your hands. Pick up both ends, cross to form rabbit ears and then twist the ends and pull them back to the rest of the loop.
3. Place twisted pretzels in water/baking soda mixture for 15 seconds until the pretzel dough is golden or yellow in color. Then remove the pretzels from boiling water and place onto a salted cookie sheet.
4. Salt the top of pretzels with coarse ground sea salt. Place cookie sheet with pretzels into the oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until pretzel is golden brown.
– For meat lovers: Add cubed bacon while kneading the dough and bake together until pretzel is golden brown.
– For cheese lovers: Do not salt the pretzels, but place a layer of German butter cheese or Bavarian Emmental on top and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Cheese will turn golden brown.
Honey Mustard Dip:
5 oz Crème Fraiche
3 tablespoons German honey
2 tablespoons German mustard
Salt and sugar to taste
Stir Crème Fraiche, honey and mustard until creamy. Add sugar and salt to taste.