The traditional German cucumber salad is made with a lot of dill and you can also add parsley, tomatoes, and garlic. There are two types of dressing that are usually used for this salad. You can make it with a sour cream or yogurt based dressing or with an oil and vinegar based dressing. The secret to making a delicious German cucumber salad is to slice the cucumbers really thin.
- 1 kg small field cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill, loosely packed
- 4 Tbsp white vinegar
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped (optional)
- Place the cucumbers, onion, and dill into a large bowl.
- Add the white vinegar, olive oil, and sugar. Mix well to combine. Season with salt.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Keeps well in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- In a small bowl, add the sour cream, olive oil, mustard, white wine vinegar, sugar, and garlic (if using). Mix to combine.
- Add the dressing to the cucumbers and mix well. Season with salt.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. Better to consume the same day.
Photo via www.mariaushakova.com