Wurstsalat is a tart sausage salad prepared with distilled white vinegar, oil and onions. A variation of the recipe adds stripes of pickled gherkin. It is normally made from a sort of boiled sausage like Lyoner, Stadtwurst, Regensburger (two types of cooked sausage) or Fleischwurst. It is a traditional snack in southern Germany.
400g Lyoner, sliced
1 medium sized onion
6 small pickled gherkins, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tbsp liquid from the pickled gherkins
1 tablespoon cold water
2-3 tablespoons sunflower oil
salt, coarsely grounded pepper, mild paprika powder
- Cut the Lyoner slices into small stripes.
- Halve the onion and slice thinly.
- Put sausage, onions and gherkins into a bowl and blend.
- Put salt, pepper, paprika, oil and the other liquids into a shaker and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the sausage and blend.
- Let the salad rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours, remove it from the fridge 30 minutes before you serve it with fried potatoes or fresh German bread.