Gingerbread cookies are traditionally made in Germany for Christmas. Cook them anytime, and let some Christmas into the house right now!
Difficulty Level: Average Time Required: 30 min
- Heat 3/4 cup honey, 3/8 cup sugar and 2 tbsp butter in a saucepan until smooth.
- Stir in ginger, black pepper, ground cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, coriander and nutmeg (a pinch of each).
- Let cool.
- Sift 2 cups flour into a bowl, add the honey mass and one egg yolk. Mix well.
- Dissolve 1 tsp baking soda in 1 tbsp warm water and add to the mixture.
- Knead in 1 cup flour to make a firm dough.
- Heat the oven to 160 C.
- Roll out the dough to 1 cm thick.
- Cut out your favorite figures and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 min and let cool.
- For icing mix 4 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp water.
- Decorate the cookies when cool.
- Use the heavy-based saucepan.
- Make the dough firm enough to come away from the bowl’s sides.
Lebkuchen – German Gingerbread Recipe