German red cabbage recipes, also known as Rotkohl, Rotkraut, and Blaukraut, are among those best vegetable recipes that Germans love! They go so well with dishes like rouladen and meat loaf. It’s a traditional German side dish that goes so well with almost anything.
2 – 3 tbsp butter, oil, or bacon fat
1 onion, diced
1 head red cabbage, shredded
salt, pepper, sugar
ground cloves, vinegar, cornstarch
- In large pot, heat butter, oil, bacon fat, or combination. Lightly sauté onion.
- Add red cabbage. Continue to sauté for several minutes, stirring. When some of the cabbage has browned, add about 1 cup of water.
- Add about 1 teaspoon of salt, some freshly ground pepper, about ¼ teaspoon cloves, and 2 teaspoons sugar. Stir. Bring to simmer, cover. Simmer for about 30 – 60 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Add water as necessary and stir occasionally during simmering.
- Add about 2 tablespoons vinegar. Taste and season with more salt, cloves, pepper, sugar, and vinegar as needed.
- Mix about 2 tablespoons cornstarch with cold water and slowly stir in just enough to thicken red cabbage liquid. Serve.