Glühwein is enjoyed at traditional Christmas Markets and is also known as an after-ski drink.
- Place 1/2 cup water in a large saucepan with a piece of cinnamon, ginger, orange zest, 8 cloves, and 3/8 cup sugar.
- Bring to a boil and simmer to a thick syrup.
- Pour in 3 cups red wine.
- Heat to just below the boiling point.
- Serve hot in mugs or glasses that have been preheated in warm water (cold glasses will break.)
- If you wish, add a cinnamon stick and orange slice to each glass.
- Serve hot.
- Walk, don’t drive home.