2 tbsp butter
1 loaf white bread, cut into cubes
1/2 cup flour
2 pounds (900 g) boiled potatoes, peeled, cooked
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- In a small skillet heat butter until bubbly and hot, add bread and sauté, stirring constantly, until bread has absorbed the margarine and is browned. Set aside.
- Measure out and reserve 2 tablespoons flour. In a mixing bowl combine remaining flour with potatoes (mash potatoes with fork or run through ricer into large bowl), egg, and seasonings, mixing well, portion dough into 24 equal mounds.
- Flour hands with reserved flour and shape mounds into balls, press 3 bread cubes into each ball and seal closed, forming dumplings.
- In a 5-quart saucepan bring water to a boil, use slotted spoon to gently lower several dumplings into water (they will sink to the bottom), when dumplings rise to surface, cook for 3 to 5 minutes longer.
- With slotted spoon, remove dumplings to warmed serving platter and sprinkle with chopped dill. Repeat procedure with remaining dumplings. Makes 12 servings of 2 dumplings each.