- 0.5 kg lean pork, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 300 g fresh white button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika powder
- 2 beef stock cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat and brown the pork on all sides. Transfer the pork to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onions to the skillet, adding more oil if necessary, and saute until translucent and beginning to brown, about 5-7 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer the onion mushroom mixture to pork and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the skillet and whisk in the flour, continuing to whisk until the mixture is a rich caramel brown. Add the milk and heavy cream, whisking continually, until the mixture is smooth and thickened.
- Add the paprika and crumble in the beef stock cubes and whisk until smooth.
- Return the meat mixture to the sauce and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add more milk if the sauce is too thick, or add a flour slurry to thicken.
- Serve immediately with hot Spätzle or fresh cucumber salad.