This is a must-visit site for all German culture lovers. Get information about German traditions, history, education in Germany, German language, traveling to Germany, and lots of interesting facts about Germany. Here are some:
1. The population of Germany is approximately 82 million.
2. In the middle of September in Munich begins the world-famous Oktoberfest beer festival. Parades have begun brewing since 1810.
3. Germany is home to the world-famous composers of classical music. The most famous German composers were: Bach, Handel, Beethoven, Schumann, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Wagner and Richard Strauss.
4. The Germans occupy the third position of the world beer rating (after the Czechs and the Austrians): beer consumption per capita here is about 106 l of beer per year.
5. German athletes won a total of 1662 Olympic medals (as of 2012), i.e. more than any other country in the world except the USA.
6. Germany was the first country in the world to adopt daylight saving time. This happened at the height of the First World War (1916).
7. Almost 70% of German roads have no speed limit.
8. There are more than 300 varieties of baked bread in Germany.
9. German is the third most popular language in the world. It is official in 5 countries: Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein.
10. Ulm Cathedral is the tallest church in the world. Its height is 161.53 m.
The German economy is full of contradictions. It is modern but old-fashioned. It is immensely powerful but suffers from serious structural weaknesses. It is subject to national laws and rules but is … [Read More...]
Coloring eggs for Easter is an old tradition dating back to the times when the liquid wax techniques were used for that. Learn how to do it easily and in a natural way nowadays -- with onion … [Read More...]
March 6, 1787
Birth of Joseph von Fraunhofer in Straubing, Germany. The physicist, Fraunhofer, was the first to observe the dark lines in the spectrum of the sun, which became known as … [Read More...]
"The most striking features of the correctly bred German Shepherd are firmness of nerves, attentiveness, unshockability, tractability, watchfulness, reliability and incorruptibility together with … [Read More...]
March 22, 1459
Birth of Maximilian I in Wiener Neustadt. Maximilian was the archduke of Austria, the German king and the Holy Roman emperor. He did much to expand and consolidate the Habsburg … [Read More...]
In the West German Bundestag elections of September 1969, the CDU/CSU remained the largest political group, holding eighteen more seats than the SPD. With the help of the FDP, which had earlier … [Read More...]
March 4, 1152
Friedrich I (Barbarossa) is elected German King in Frankfurt. (He then became Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.)
March 4, 1782
Birth of Johann Rudolf Wyss in Bern, Switzerland. … [Read More...]
1 cup fresh strawberries
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp. gelatin (unflavored)
1/2 cup cold water
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 cup cream
fresh fruit … [Read More...]
May 6, 1757
The battle of Prague takes place in the Seven Year's War (1756-1763) (Siebenjähriger Krieg) between Prussia and Austria and their allies.
May 6, 1856
Birth of Sigmund Freud … [Read More...]
May 30, 1527
The University of Marburg is founded. Philipps-Universität Marburg is not only a German university steeped in tradition, it is also the oldest university in the world that was … [Read More...]