This is a must-visit site for all German culture lovers. Get information about German traditions, history, education in Germany, German language, traveling to Germany, and lots of interesting facts about Germany. Here are some:
1. The population of Germany is approximately 82 million.
2. In the middle of September in Munich begins the world-famous Oktoberfest beer festival. Parades have begun brewing since 1810.
3. Germany is home to the world-famous composers of classical music. The most famous German composers were: Bach, Handel, Beethoven, Schumann, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Wagner and Richard Strauss.
4. The Germans occupy the third position of the world beer rating (after the Czechs and the Austrians): beer consumption per capita here is about 106 l of beer per year.
5. German athletes won a total of 1662 Olympic medals (as of 2012), i.e. more than any other country in the world except the USA.
6. Germany was the first country in the world to adopt daylight saving time. This happened at the height of the First World War (1916).
7. Almost 70% of German roads have no speed limit.
8. There are more than 300 varieties of baked bread in Germany.
9. German is the third most popular language in the world. It is official in 5 countries: Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein.
10. Ulm Cathedral is the tallest church in the world. Its height is 161.53 m.
April 16, 1817
Birth of Martin Rudolph von Delbrück in Berlin, Germany. He forged the Prussian free-trade policy in cooperation with Otto von Bismark and was instrumental in convincing the southern … [Read More...]
May 11, 1686
Death of Otto von Guericke (1602-1686), a German scientist, inventor, and politician, in Hamburg, Germany. Von Guericke invented an air pump in 1650. That is not very remarkable, … [Read More...]
June 7, 1826
Death of Joseph von Fraunhofer in Munich, Germany. The physicist, Fraunhofer was the first to observe the dark lines in the spectrum of the sun, which became known as Fraunhofer lines. … [Read More...]
On January 18, 1701 Friedrich III, Elector of Brandenburg (11.07.1657 - 25.02.1713), crowned himself as King in Prussia. Today, exactly 300 years after this outstanding event, the government heads of … [Read More...]
April 29, 1767
Birth of Karl Philipp Fürst von Wrede in Heidelberg, Germany. Karl was a German general who, however, formed an alliance with Napoleon until 1813 (the year of the battle of Leipzig … [Read More...]
September 1, 1692
Birth of Egid Quirin Asam in Tegernsee, Germany. He and his brother, Cosmas Damian, were leading masters of the baroque style of illusionist decoration in the late baroque … [Read More...]
Feast Day of St. Marianus von Regensburg
Marianus (? - 1083) was born in Ireland. He left his home on a Pilgrimage to Rome but only got as far as Germany. He became a Benedictine monk … [Read More...]
A one-pot meal, boiled beef with vegetables with a creamy green herb and chopped egg sauce. Typical dish from Hesse, Germany.
1 kg top round roast
1 leek, cleaned, trimmed and … [Read More...]
Zimtsterne (cinnamon stars) are maybe THE traditional German Christmas cookies. Everyone loves these little treats.
4 egg whites
250 g powdered sugar
300 g almond flour
1 tsp … [Read More...]
On October 3, Germany celebrates its Unification Day (Tag der Deutschen Einheit). This day back in 1990 brought a happy and a very significant event on the world political scene. The symbol of the … [Read More...]