This is a must-visit site for all German culture lovers. Get information about German traditions, history, education in Germany, German language, traveling to Germany, and lots of interesting facts about Germany. Here are some:
1. The population of Germany is approximately 82 million.
2. In the middle of September in Munich begins the world-famous Oktoberfest beer festival. Parades have begun brewing since 1810.
3. Germany is home to the world-famous composers of classical music. The most famous German composers were: Bach, Handel, Beethoven, Schumann, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Wagner and Richard Strauss.
4. The Germans occupy the third position of the world beer rating (after the Czechs and the Austrians): beer consumption per capita here is about 106 l of beer per year.
5. German athletes won a total of 1662 Olympic medals (as of 2012), i.e. more than any other country in the world except the USA.
6. Germany was the first country in the world to adopt daylight saving time. This happened at the height of the First World War (1916).
7. Almost 70% of German roads have no speed limit.
8. There are more than 300 varieties of baked bread in Germany.
9. German is the third most popular language in the world. It is official in 5 countries: Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein.
10. Ulm Cathedral is the tallest church in the world. Its height is 161.53 m.
October 19, 1813 At 2:00 A.M.
Napoleon begins his retreat from the Battle of Leipzig, which had started on October 16. At that battle Napoleon had about 185,000 troops and the allies against … [Read More...]
July 29, 1605
Birth of Simon Dach in Memel, Prussia (now Lithuania). Dach was one of the outstanding German Baroque poets.
July 29, 1889
Birth of Ernst Reuter in Apenrade, Germany. Reuter was … [Read More...]
A sky-rocket way from a stage performer to a sophisticated comedy director.
Ernst Lubitsch (January 28, 1892 – November 30, 1947) was "a man of pure cinema", as Alfred Hitchcock said. He was an … [Read More...]
Religious associations represent a third major group of organized interests in the German policy process. The experience of the Third Reich had a profound influence on the postwar development of … [Read More...]
June 23, 1760
The Battle of Landshut in Silesia is fought. The Battle of Landshut was an engagement fought on June 23, 1760 during the Seven Years' War. A Prussian army of 12,000 men under … [Read More...]
April 29, 1767
Birth of Karl Philipp Fürst von Wrede in Heidelberg, Germany. Karl was a German general who, however, formed an alliance with Napoleon until 1813 (the year of the battle of Leipzig … [Read More...]
May 3, 996
The first German Pope, Gregory V, was consecrated on this date. (There had been an earlier Gothic Pope, Boniface II, who had reigned from 530-532. Gregory V was the first Pope with West … [Read More...]