This is a must-visit site for all German culture lovers. Get information about German traditions, history, education in Germany, German language, traveling to Germany, and lots of interesting facts about Germany. Here are some:
1. The population of Germany is approximately 82 million.
2. In the middle of September in Munich begins the world-famous Oktoberfest beer festival. Parades have begun brewing since 1810.
3. Germany is home to the world-famous composers of classical music. The most famous German composers were: Bach, Handel, Beethoven, Schumann, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Wagner and Richard Strauss.
4. The Germans occupy the third position of the world beer rating (after the Czechs and the Austrians): beer consumption per capita here is about 106 l of beer per year.
5. German athletes won a total of 1662 Olympic medals (as of 2012), i.e. more than any other country in the world except the USA.
6. Germany was the first country in the world to adopt daylight saving time. This happened at the height of the First World War (1916).
7. Almost 70% of German roads have no speed limit.
8. There are more than 300 varieties of baked bread in Germany.
9. German is the third most popular language in the world. It is official in 5 countries: Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein.
10. Ulm Cathedral is the tallest church in the world. Its height is 161.53 m.
August 24-27, 410
Alaric, the leader of the Visigoths takes and plunders Rome. This was one of the final blows which would bring about the end of the Roman Empire.
The Visigoths were one of the … [Read More...]
April 26, 1774
Birth of Leopold Freiherr von Buch in Angermünde, Germany. Buch's travels and reports were instrumental in the development of the study of geography in the 19th century. He studied … [Read More...]
September 14, 1313
Death of St. Notburga von Rattenberg (ca. 1265 – 1313) (Rattenberg is near Innsbruck, Austria) St. Notburga is the patroness of servants and peasants. During her lifetime she is … [Read More...]
The German Air Force (Luftwaffe) has faced dramatic changes in structure and strategic concepts as a result of the diminished threat in Central Europe and shrinking budgetary resources for modernized … [Read More...]
February 16, 1514
Birth of Georg Joachim Rheticus (1514-1574) in Feldkirch, Austria. Rheticus was an astronomer and mathematician who was one of the first to accept the heliocentric theory of … [Read More...]
This is the ultimate roast – Bavarian beer roasted pork, also known as Bayerischer Schweinebraten or Krustenbraten - tender, juicy meat and crunchy crackling on top, perfectly roasted and crispy. This … [Read More...]
Germans: Myths and reality
Germans have an opinion, that life is divided in two parts – public (work, politics, business) and private (family, friends, hobbies, rest). These two spheres should be … [Read More...]
As a traditional site for family vacations, Bavaria is the most popular holiday center in the Federal Republic of Germany. Bavaria is Germany's largest and oldest state. Bavaria is the most fancied … [Read More...]