Traditional German cuisine is rich and hearty, but it is also extremely delicious. German cuisine also differs widely during the year. Mushrooms, game, vegetables, they all have their season. It is the secret of many German dishes that they are cooked with local and fresh ingredients.
Germany is famous for its variety of bread and sausages – they are very often the alternative for meat in daily meals. Weisswurst is a typical Bavarian specialty. It is available from butcher shops everywhere in Germany these days, but you will hardly find a restaurant outside Bavaria that serves Weisswurst. Although Currywurst was invented in Berlin, it is now a favorite fast food throughout Germany.
Spätzle, Maultaschen and Black Forest Cake are the top hits in Baden-Württemberg. Rheinischer Sauerbraten (North Rhine-Westphalia and Rhineland-Palatinate), Thuringian Bratwurst and Handkäs mit Musik (Hessen) are well-known in Germany’s central states.
In the northern states seafood abounds, but there are also famous meat dishes like Königsberger Klopse and Grünkohl mit Pinkel. Labskaus consists of corned beef, potatoes, beetroot and herring.
Soups play an important role on the German menu. Light soups as a starter, or hearty soups and stews as the main dish, Germans love their soups.
- Bauernfrühstück (Farmer’s breakfast)
- Bavarian Beer Roasted Pork
- Bavarian Leberkäse
- Beef Rouladen (German Beef Rolls)
- Beef with Green Sauce (Gekochtes Rindfleisch mit Grüner Sosse)
- Beer Bratwurst Braised with Onions and Apples
- Black Forest Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Bratwurst Recipe
- Classical German Sausage Recipe
- Crispy German Potato Pancakes
- German Onion Pie (Zwiebelkuchen)
- German Potato Soup (Kartoffelsuppe)
- German Sausage Soup Recipe
- German Sausage with Apples, Sauerkraut and Onion Recipe
- German-Style Fried Potatoes (Bratkartoffeln)
- German-Style Sausage and Potatoes
- Grilled Meats & Vegetables with Baked Potatoes
- Grünkohleintopf – Kale Stew with Smoked Meat and Sausages
- Holsteiner Schnitzel
- Jägerspätzle – German Dumplings with Mushrooms
- Kartoffelklöße (German Potato Dumplings)
- Liverwurst Recipe
- Mettwurst Recipe
- Mushroom Spätzle Pan
- Potato Pancakes
- Potato Skins stuffed with Bratwurst, Beer-Caramelized Onions and Sauerkraut
- Roast Goose (Gänsebraten)
- Roast Pork and Sauerkraut
- Roasted New Potatoes and Asparagus
- Sauerkraut Cheese Spätzle
- Schweinebraten – German Pork Roast
- Spiced Potato Soup (Kartoffelrahmsuppe)
- Swabian Meat Pockets – Maultaschen
- Swabian Potato Soup (Schwäbische Kartoffelsuppe)
- White Asparagus Soup
- Zigeunerschnitzel – Gypsy Schnitzel